Check out my other blog site for ENCOURAGEMENT and HOPE as we walk with God each day: NOTEworthyforGod.blogspot.com

Thursday, May 30, 2024

At Calvary

 

This hymn is a personal testimony of a prodigal son. All who knew him considered him a "humble man," however that was not how his life began.

William R. Newell was born in 1868 in Sa­van­nah, Ohio. He was the son of a pastor. He grieved his family. His father prayed continually for his son. One day the father wrote a letter to Dr. Torrey, president of Moody Bible Institute.  He wanted his son, Bill, to attend the Institute, but the president felt he could not accept him.

The father continued to write to Dr. Torrey, and because of his persistence the president finally agreed to enroll the boy. There were stipulations though. The rebellious teen had to see Dr. Torrey every day and make effort to abide by the rules and requirements of the Institute.

As time went by, Bill remained as good as his word. He tried desperately to be a good student. He obeyed the rules and stopped by Torrey's office each day if only to say hello. Days became weeks and weeks rolled into months, and small improvements were seen here and there.

Bill became a model student. On his way to class one day, he heard words in his mind and stepped into an unoccupied classroom and began to write describing his testimony. Newell said “As I read what I had written, I realized that it was a word picture of what had happened in my life.”

 He then paid a visit to the Music Director at Moody, Daniel Towner and showed him the words.

Towner started writing the music. “Bill,” said Dr. Towner, “I was so taken with the poem you gave me that I went immediately to my studio and composed a tune. I feel that it could be the best song that either of us will ever write in our lifetime.” The two men sang it together with gratitude to God.

Newell later graduated, and, in time, returned to become a member of the faculty of Moody Bible Institute. He became a well-known Bible teacher through the Midwest and the author of a popular series of Bible commentaries. He once said that if he had not gone through his troubled years, he might never have fully understood the importance of Calvary’s grace.

He never lost the wonder of what God can do with a prodigal.

Daniel Towner was recognized as a teacher, conductor, soloist, composer, and author.  He received his early musical training from his father, J. G. Towner.

In the field of evangelical gospel music, it is said that Towner had few equals. He met D. L. Moody at an evangelistic campaign. Towner trained the choir for those meetings.  From that time forward Towner was associated with Moody. He was the first music director at Moody Bible Institute, for the express purpose of training young people in gospel music leadership. 

He is credited with over 2000 published songs, confining himself to gospel music and male chorus arrangements. . . The following are some of the more popular gospel hymns for which he composed the music: "Trust and Obey," "Grace Greater Than Our Sin," "Saved by The Blood," and "My Anchor Holds."

Dr. Towner was born in Rome, Pennsylvania, in 1850, and died in Chicago in his seventieth year.

Verse One
“Years I spent in vanity and pride,
Caring not my Lord was crucified,
Knowing not it was for me He died,
On Calvary.”

Colossians 1:21-23
Once you were alienated from God and were enemies in your minds because of your evil behavior. But now he has reconciled you by Christ’s physical body through death to present you holy in his sight, without blemish and free from accusation—if you continue in your faith, established and firm, not moved from the hope held out in the gospel."

On Theologian-theology.com: Paul notes that the Colossians were "once estranged and hostile in mind, doing evil deeds…" There was a relational rift between God and the Colossians, characterized by a hostility they bore toward Him. This hostility might be the Colossians rejection of God’s authority in favor of the powers of darkness. This estrangement and hostility was expressed by their evil deeds. Their deeds demonstrated that they rejected God’s authority insofar as their deeds failed to conform to God’s will. However, Christ has now reconciled them back to God through His death on the cross.”

Verse Two
“By God's Word at last my sin I learned;
Then I trembled at the law I'd spurned,
Till my guilty soul imploring turned,
To Calvary.”

1Timothy 1:12-14
“Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief. The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.”

Biblehub.com, Matthew Henry’s Concise Commentary: The apostle knew that he would justly have perished, if the Lord had been extreme to mark what was amiss; and also if His grace and mercy had not been abundant to him when dead in sin, working faith and love to Christ in his heart. This is a faithful saying; these are true and faithful words, which may be depended on, That the Son of God came into the world, willingly and purposely to save sinners.

Verse Three
“Now I've given to Jesus everything,
Now I gladly own Him as my King,
Now my raptured soul can only sin,
Of Calvary!”
Psalm 104:33-34
I will sing to the Lord all my life; I will sing praise to my God as long as I live. May my meditation be pleasing to him, as I rejoice in the Lord.”

Biblehub.com, Barnes Notes on the Bible: The result of the psalmist’s meditations on the wonderful works of God is to awaken in his mind a desire to praise God forever. . . He who has any proper sense of the greatness, the majesty, and the glory of God ‘intends’ to praise Him forever. He sees that there is enough in the character of God to demand eternal praise.

Verse Four
“Oh, the love that drew salvation's plan!
Oh, the grace that brought it down to man!
Oh, the mighty gulf that God did span, 
At Calvary!”

Ephesians 2:4-5
But because of His great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved.

Christianity.com: God's eternal love or good-will toward His creatures, is the fountain whence all His mercies flow to us; and that love of God is great love, and that mercy is rich mercy . . . The grace that saves is the free, undeserved goodness and favor of God . . . Grace in the soul is a new life in the soul.”

Refrain
“Mercy there was great, and grace was free;
Pardon there was multiplied to me;
There my burdened soul found liberty,
At Calvary.”

Studylight.org: God has loved you from eternity; there has never been a time when God didn't love you. There will never be a time when God doesn't love you.

  

 I am indebted to the following resources:
Dianaleighmatthew.com
Templebaptistkokomo.com; Dr. Jim Willoughby
Hymnologist Kenneth Osbeck
Staugustine.com
A Song in My Heart, Robert J. Morgan
Wholesomewords.org
The Complete Book of Hymns by William J. Petersen and Ardythe Petersen
Hymnologyarchive.com


By His Grace . . .

Standing on the Promises

R. Kelso Carter, author and composer, wrote this testimony of his life: “I was surrounded by Christian influences. My father stood for n...