Check out my other blog site for ENCOURAGEMENT and HOPE as we walk with God each day: NOTEworthyforGod.blogspot.com

Thursday, November 23, 2023

Redeemed, How I Love to Proclaim It!


Fanny Crosby is considered the hymn queen. She wrote over 9,000 hymns. She didn’t start writing until she was 40 years old. That indeed should encourage all of us.

John and Mercy Crosby were blessed with their first child whom they named Francis Jane, but would call her Fanny. Living simply off the land, the Crosby’s were very poor financially, but rich in spiritual matters and Christian principles.

From a young age, Crosby learned about the love of God at the knee of her grandmother, who would read to her from the Bible. She taught her how to pray.

Crosby was born in 1820, in Brewster, New York. At the age of six weeks old, she caught a cold that led to inflammation in her eyes. An incompetent doctor applied a poultice to her eyes that left her blind.

 Crosby grew to be an active and happy child. From 1835 to 1843 she attended the New York Institute for the Blind in New York City. At that time, Braille was just being developed, and it would not become widespread until many decades later. Crosby never used the system.

After her graduation, Crosby remained at the Institute as a teacher of English grammar and rhetoric and of ancient history until 1858.

Fanny was given an extraordinary opportunity. Hoping to bring attention to the Institute, Fanny was sent with some students to Washington, DC to address Congress. Her stated purpose was to raise money for the school and encourage Congress to incorporate the blind into every facet of society and not dismiss them from public life.

Members in her audience the day Fanny spoke to Congress included John Quincy Adams, the sixth president of the United States, and Jefferson Davis, a senator and the future president of the Confederate States of America. In this role, Fanny became the first woman to ever formally address the Senate and Congress.

She married Alexander Van Alstyne, who was also blind and was also a former pupil and then a teacher at the school. The couple’s only child was born in 1858 and died in infancy. Although the two eventually lived apart—to follow their own career paths—they remained married until Van Alstyne’s death in 1902.

 Crosby was once asked if there was a special hymn written for her conversion experience. She replied: “I would write many hymns to describe the joy of my salvation. The one that stands out the most to me right now is this one, “Redeemed, How I Love to Proclaim It.

 Some of her well-known hymns include “To God Be the Glory,” “All The Way the Savior Leads Me,” “Jesus Keep Me Near the Cross,” “Rescue the Perishing,” and “Blessed Assurance.

Crosby embraced her blindness saying, “When I get to heaven, the first face that shall ever gladden my sight will be that of my Savior!” She saw the face of her Savior on February 12, 1915, at the age of 94.

She was the most important writer of gospel hymn texts in American history. William James Kirkpatrick, whom Crosby often teamed with for her songs, provided the music for this hymn.

Mr. Kirkpatrick was born in Ireland in 1838, but at an early age came with his parents to the United States and settled in Pennsylvania. His father was a musician. Kirkpatrick came naturally by his love and talent for music. He was for year’s director of music in Grace Methodist Episcopal Church, in Philadelphia, and organist and choirmaster many years in the Ebenezer Church.

Some of the hymns Kirkpatrick composed music for are: “A Wonderful Savior is Jesus My Lord,” “Lead Me to Calvary,” “Away in the Manger,” My Faith Has Found a Resting Place” and “Blessed Be Thy Name.” George C. Stebbins, a gospel songwriter, shared this story about Kirkpatrick:        

Verse One
"Redeemed, how I love to proclaim it!
Redeemed by the blood of the Lamb;
Redeemed through His infinite mercy,
His child and forever I am."

Titus 3:5
". . . He saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of His mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit."

Studylight.org, Barnes' Notes on the Whole Bible: Whatever we have done or can do, when we come to receive salvation from the hand of God, there is no other element which enters into it but mercy . . . after all our tears, and sighs, and prayers, and good deeds, it is a mere favor.

Verse Two
"Redeemed, and so happy in Jesus,
No language my rapture can tell;
I know that the light of His presence,
With me doth continually dwell."

Job 19:25
"I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end He will stand on the earth."

Biblehub.com, Benson Commentary: I have no knowledge, nor confidence, nor hope of being restored to the prosperities of this life; yet this one thing I know, which is much more comfortable and considerable, and therein I rejoice . . . I know that I have a living and powerful Redeemer to plead my cause and vindicate my person from all severe and unjust censures, and to give sentence for me; a Redeemer, whom I call mine.

Verse Three
"I think of my blessed Redeemer,
I think of Him all the day long;
I sing, for I cannot be silent;
His love is the theme of my song."

Psalm 107:2
"Let the redeemed of the Lord tell their story--those He redeemed from the hand of the foe."

Enduringword.com, David Guzik: The psalmist invited the people of God - those redeemed by His enduring mercy--to declare that they are redeemed. It would be ungrateful and wrong to be silent about so great a work.

Studylight.org, Coffman's Commentary on the Bible: No Christian has the right to remain silent with regard to the salvation that has been conferred upon him through the gospel of Christ . . . Gods saints need to be vocal about their redemption.

Verse Four
"I know I shall see in His beauty,
The King in whose law I delight;
Who lovingly guardeth my footsteps,
And giveth me songs in the night."

Psalm 119:35
"Direct me in the path of Your commands, for there I find delight."

Tony Evans Commentary: The psalmist expresses his total dedication to the Lord's statues . . . He asks that God would bless such a commitment . . . He desires a life of value, not one of disgrace. Devotion to the Word can provide such a life."

Refrain
"Redeemed, redeemed, redeemed by the blood of the Lamb,
Redeemed, redeemed, His child and forever I am."


One of the strongest evidences for the validity of the gospel is a redeemed, vibrant life. Determine with the Holy Spirit to be such a demonstration.

Sing Refrain

 



I am indebted to the following resources:
Dianaleaghmatthews.com
WomenofChristianity.com
Hymnologyarchive.com
Britannica.com; Article revised and updated by Melissa Petruzzelio
Hymnologyarchive.com; George C. Stebbins
Stanmurrell.org

 


By His Grace . . . 







And Can It Be

  "And Can It Be" is a favorite hymn of mine. The words and the music inspire me. This hymn was written by Charles Wesley, 1707–1...